Monday, November 16, 2009

Former Fat Kid



2 1/2 years ago I was pushing 185lbs and on the verge of buying a size 14pant. I knew I needed a change. My whole life I played soccer at a competitive level. That meant playing for 2 and sometimes 3 teams at a time, practicing every night of the week and eating like a horse and never gaining an ounce. This all changed when I walked away from my soccer scholarship after my freshman year of college.

I became a "normal" human being for the first time in my life. No practice, no expectations, just being. I continued to work out on my own, but a HUGE downgrade from Division 1 soccer training. There wasn't team around you, a strength coach pushing you and a trainer rehabbing you. I quickly fell into a 60min of cardio 30min of lifting routine. It was what you read in all the fitness magazines so it had to be the best approach.

Then I went shopping 2 1/2 years ago and could barely zip the size 12 pants and I thought to myself..."when did I get fat?" I had a coming to Jesus moment and realized that I couldn't fight this battle alone so I googled "fitness groups, Cleveland" and number one on the list, something called CrossFit on meetup.com?? They met every Saturday under a bridge at the local metroparks. I vacillated and then decided I'd go and try it and if I hated it I would never have to go back.

So on a Saturday morning in early June of 2007 I strapped on my shoes, filled a water bottle and headed out the door. It was nerve racking at first. Where they going to judge me? Would they laugh at me? All the normal in securities. But the exact opposite happened, I was welcomed and encouraged, and more importantly...I WAS HOOKED.

2 1/2 years later I waiver between 130-135lb and wear a size 4 pant.

2007: 185lb
Today:130-135

2007: 0 pullups
Today: 23

2007: 0 pushups
Today: 16 (still a weakness)

2007: 145lb deadlift
Today: 230lb x 3

2007: 115lb back squat
Today: 195lb

2007: 500m row-2:06
Today: 1:46.6

THIS SH*T WORKS!

6 comments:

  1. great story! Obviously it works well and there are hundreds of stories like yours and thousands more waiting to happen. :) Good work, Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kate...my name is ryan & somehow, along the way, we became facebook friends... i can't help but to follow all of your crossfit postings and i just want you to know that i'm truly inspired by your passion & commitment. i share the same love for crossfit and i am spreading the word to my community, a place where it is just beginning to catch on...keep up the good...nay...GREAT work & CONTINUE TO LIVE YOUR PASSION!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! Kate what a great story...I am so sharing this on FB!!! Thank you so very much for friending me!!! You keep inspiring me!!

    Don't stop doing what you are going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing Kate. You are an inspiration. So glad to be at the same box with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great story. thanks for sharing that! AS a fellow crossfitter and former "fat person" I am really inspired by your story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for posting this.

    I've always been "fat kid". I currently am in size 16. I love reading your FB posts and now your blog. I think I will be happy with a size 10. But it's great to hear other women tell their "This is where I was and this is where I am now" stories. They are motivating!

    ReplyDelete