Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Regaining Traction.....or at least trying to




Ever have those times in your life when you're ready to hit the ground running and ground has something else in mind?

I can say that pretty much describes my week. After a disappointing finish at the Midwest Regionals in May of 2009 I decided to focus on pretty much everything but CrossFit. I still made it to the wods pretty regularly, but not with much intensity. My diet...if that's what you would call it...went out the window. I took the eat what I want when i want approach towards food. Fall came and with it brought rumblings of "are you going to compete again this year?" "When are you going to start training?" started floating around the gym.

I had some soul searching to do. I'm still working my 9-5er, trying to help train at the gym when possible and on top of it I started grad school. Where was games training going to fit. I himmed and haaaed and finally said F*CK IT! I'm just going to make my training a non-negotiable part of my day and make it fit. With that came a re-commitment to my diet.

November 2 was the day. I started the day with my paleo friendly zone breakfast, packed my lunch and snack and I was off for day one of games training. I hit the wod hard finishing:
15mt climbers
15 dbcleans (20lbs)
30mt climbers
15 dbcleans
45mt climbers
15dbcleans
60mt climbers
15 dbcleans
75mt climbers
15 db cleans
in 10:24 only to be side swiped with a migraine on Tuesday. Really...day two of training....really!!??? For those of you that have never had a migraine, that meant taking drugs and sleeping in a dark quiet room for 12 hours to recover...aka...no training.

One of my favorite quotes comes to mind, "It's not how many times you fall down, its how many times you get back up that matters." So today I'm getting back up, dusting off my knees and taking on some heavy back squats.

4 comments:

  1. Kate,

    This is a great way to keep track of your CrossFit experience.

    I track all my WOD's and it's really helpful to look back and see what I have really accomplished, expecially on those days where I feel like I have not done well.

    I will be reading.

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I'm not the only one that is in that same spot right now!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog! I've been having Kate Rawlings withdrawl since I retired from facebook. Let me know how I can help with your training. I have some ideas I've been tossing around.
    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will look forward to following your blog & training as I am now in week 1 of official IronMan training... I, too, am blogging the experience & enjoy all of the feedback & support I get as I post the ups & downs of my training... See you @ the gym :)
    Cat

    ReplyDelete